A radio jockey (RJ) is a person who goes on-air for radio shows in radio broadcastings. Apart from the mainstream courses like engineering, IT, commerce, etc. radio jokey is a new found course that has many scope if you have the creativity and passion to talk and entertain people.
To become a radio jokey is not tough, all you have to do is follow the below mentioned points:
- You need to be focused on what you’re going to talk about or else your audience will lose the track, resulting to loss of interest.
- You should also have a good sense of humor. Even if you’re focused with your topic, too much of serious talks are actually boring. So, a little sense of humor is very necessary for you to entertain your audience.
- Be fluent with whatever language you’re speaking. Only a fluent speaker can attract audience.
- Confidence is the key for a successful show. Without confidence, no matter how well written script you have to present, it will never be successful.
- Don’t copy someone’s way of RJing because if someone is already like you, why will the audience even listen to you? So, it is always better to follow your own style of presenting.
- You need to be able to add on few topics which might or might not be pre-planned. This is one very important skill that radio jockeys must have.
- Since, you can’t express your thought with your face in radio, so you have to express it all with your voice. So, practice and modulate your voice and tone in a way that you can express everything that touches the soul of your audience.
- You need to have time management skill. You won’t be having the entire day for one single topic. So, learn and practice to finish your topic fruitfully within the allotted time.
- You might be in a situation where you need to talk to your audience on-air where they might talk about irrelevant things. You need to control yourself and also have the ability to control the person and bring them back to the main topic.
- Be up-to-date with all the things that are currently happening and are talk of the town. You need to link your speech with your audience, if you don’t talk about the current situation of the country, they won’t find any links to be connected to you.
- Be sure about what you talk. Wrong information can be misleading and this can also make you lose your job.
- Most importantly, be sensitive and polite when you talk. Your audience might be expecting a lot from you and if you’re insensitive, people won’t have a reason to spend their time listening to you.
There are many broadcasting school available today, out them Beonair Network is one of the school which offers 8 months course in Radio and Television broadcasting where they teach the real scene behind the screen including technical works. You can also search for them online to learn about their courses better.
Love your work, being a radio jockey doesn’t need hours of practice if you have real passion towards this profession. However, it is suggested to join a course and learn it better before performing.